Saturday, September 12, 2026

Recognition

 


By D. I. Muhammad


I woke this morning crying, and it took me a while to understand why.

It wasn't about the rough first week back. It wasn't even about the job itself, though I love it. It was this: I'm tired of not being heard when I speak. I say something plainly, clearly, with a solution attached, and it gets a shrug, a slow "yeah..." that leads nowhere, and then the same problem shows back up the next day as if I never said a word. That wears on a person over time, even when you love the work.

Underneath that was something scarier,  I don't fully know what else I want to do besides write and sell my books. That's the truth I was crying about. Not knowing is uncomfortable. Wanting out of a place that doesn't hear you, without a clear next place to land, is its own kind of grief.

And in the middle of all that, my mind went somewhere unexpected: soulmates, and familiar souls. I think I was looking for the one place in my life where I do feel heard, where recognition doesn't take convincing.

What is a Soulmate?

A soulmate is, at its root, a "soul-meet",  someone who mirrors your frequency, your values, your desire to keep evolving. When you meet one, there's an ease to it. You feel comfortable being around them. They give you a sense of inner peace and harmony. The bond feels safe, calm, effortless, the opposite of having to repeat yourself to be understood.

Soulmates aren't only romantic. You can find one in a parent, a child, a friend. Anyone who becomes part of your support system, who helps you get through what you're going through, can hold that role. A romantic soulmate does the same thing, just with an added layer.

What is a Familiar Soul?

A familiar soul is different. It's someone who triggers an immediate sense of recognition, or déjà vu, the feeling of "I know you from somewhere," even the first time you meet them. Sometimes that's literal: a stranger stops you in public and says, "You look familiar. What high school did you go to?"

The belief underneath this is that these are souls you've had some deep connection with in a past life, and your paths have crossed again in this one. That recognition can be confusing, because it doesn't always come with warmth. Sometimes it comes with intensity, or unease, or a pull you can't explain. Both soulmates and familiars are considered part of a larger soul group,  people whose relationship to you was decided before either of you arrived in this lifetime.

What is a Divine Partner?

This is the one I rarely see written about, so I'll offer my own understanding of it, channeled rather than found anywhere else.

A Divine Partner carries the same recognition as a soulmate, but with a different purpose. It's a soul made specifically for you, so the two of you can carry out a shared mission,  building or creating something the world needs, that neither of you could build alone. It isn't given until both people have done enough of their own individual work to be ready to hold something that large. The love between Divine Partners is unconditional, not because it's easy, but because both people have already done the harder work of loving themselves first.

Why This Is What My Mind Reached For

I don't think it's an accident that grief over not being heard sent me toward soulmates and familiars. Both are, at their core, about recognition, about someone or something finally meeting you at your real frequency instead of asking you to shrink or repeat yourself to be understood.

I have people in my life I'd call a soulmate and a familiar, in the sense I've described here. My soulmate regulates my nervous system without even trying, the chatter in my mind goes quiet in his presence, and just seeing him can be enough to carry me through the rest of a hard day. When I see him he's a breath of fresh air. I exhale, and relax fully when I speak with him , even briefly at work. 

My familiar came on differently. The recognition was fast and heavy, the kind that made me want to understand it, and the moment I looked too closely, he turned avoidant, retreating instead of meeting it. Neither relationship is fully resolved, and I'm not writing this to resolve it. I'm writing it because both taught me the same thing from opposite directions: real recognition, when it happens, doesn't require convincing anyone of anything. It's just felt, and known, on both sides.

That's what I want more of,  in my relationships, and honestly, in my work. To be met at my actual frequency instead of managed around. To be heard the first time I say something, not the third or the never.

I don't know yet what leaving this profession would mean, or what comes after it. But I know what I'm not willing to keep doing: shrinking my voice to fit rooms that were never built to hold it. Whatever comes next, in love, in work, in whatever I build with my writing, I want it to start from that same place my soulmate's presence gives me for free: room to exhale, and to finally be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. To leave a comment, click on 'Post a Comment.'