Vglnk

Friday, September 4, 2026

I Got Caught In A Tornado Warning



By D.I. Muhammad 

September 3, 2026


I left work early to go pick up my cat from the Humane Society. He needed to get neutered.  I have three more to spay.

I put myself on their waiting list. I'm looking at the sky. Its 4:05pm, and I see dark clouds starting to roll through.  Then before the rain started I get an alert saying we were under a tornado warning until 4:30pm.  How nice. (In my sarcastic voice)  Considering I'm in my car with no where to really go if there was one.



I'm still watching the sky, since I'm now informed of a tornado,  and see this dark ominous cloud roll across the sky. When it passed over my car, the air got eerily quiet, then all of a sudden the rain heavily poured from the sky. The wind kicked up.  

My daughter calls to ask, "Is that sirens?"  I tell her, "I don't know. They weren't going off where I was."  She then asked, "Did you get the alert?"  I told her I did, and to, "just listen to nature. If you hear something sounding like a freight train, get in the basement. Don't worry about the cats."

Sitting in the car, the heavy wind shook my car. I had to have a quick talk with nature.  First thing that came out was, "Be nice." Then the wind slightly shook my car again, as thunder cracked hard close by.

I'm safe. It passed over, but it's still raining. Not as heavy. I got sleepy waiting in the car. I like the sound of rain and thunder. Just don't want to be in it while it's happening. 

I waited an hour and fifteen minutes. Come to find out their ability to text went down. It was coming down heavy. Winds were heavy. The freeway won't see me on the way home.

Driving home the high winds knocked down tree limbs, tipped over electrical poles. Some streets were a little flooded.   

The Eastside of Detroit got hit bad. They're not sure if it was a tornado or from the high winds.





Southfield, MI, a suburb they call Metro Detroit, got hit as well.


Tornado,  Canada got the storm as well.



This is not the first time a tornado has touched down in Detroit.  The first time ever for Detroit was in 1997, which had some serious impact in Detroit proper, as well as Hamtramck and Highland Park.  It was in this year that we found out after the storm hit, that 13 tornadoes had touched down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. To leave a comment, click on 'Post a Comment.'